Here are just some of the recent lawsuits that the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) has been and is currently involved in — we’ve spent a lot of money in court fighting to protect and expand YOUR rights.
These are just some of the numerous lawsuits that the Second Amendment Foundation has taken on.
Each lawsuit has a price-tag as high as hundreds of thousands of dollars!
For more information on these cases or donations/memberships please visit http://www.saf.org/
· SAF Lawsuit Challenging Chicago’s Handgun Ban a Supreme Court Winner! A 5-4 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in SAF’s case of McDonald v. Chicago incorporated the Second Amendment through the fourteenth amendment to the states and effectively ended Chicago’s handgun ban. Thanks to SAF and ISRA, the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms applies to all fifty states as well as the federal government. This historic Supreme Court ruling is the most important court ruling protecting the right to keep and bear arms in our nation’s history.
· SAF Files Amicus Curiae Brief at U.S. Supreme Court: DC Gun Ban Ruled Unconstitutional…The Supreme Court overturned the DC Gun Ban, ruling that the Second Amendment protects and individual right to keep and bear arms.
· SAF Files Federal Lawsuit against Bloomberg over Gun Permit Fees…SAF and the NY State Rifle & Pistol Association filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg alleging New York City’s $340 fee for a permit to keep a handgun in the home is “excessive and…impermissibly burdens the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.” Case is at the Appeals Court.
· SAF Sues N.J. Officials for Deprivation of Civil Rights on Permit Denials…SAF and the Association of NJ Rifle and Pistol Clubs filed suit in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey against several New Jersey officials for deprivation of civil rights under color of law, as a result of their refusal to issue carry permits to qualified citizens. Case is at the Appeals Court.
· Gun Rights Organizations Win Lawsuit to Stop Seattle Ban…SAF, NRA and five local residents won a lawsuit challenging a new Seattle parks regulation that bans firearms, arguing that the ban violates Washington State’s long-standing preemption statute.
· SAF Sues District of Columbia over Carrying of Handguns…SAF filed a lawsuit on behalf of three residents of the District of Columbia and a New Hampshire resident, seeking to compel the city to issue carry permits to law-abiding citizens.
· SAF Challenges Arbitrary Denial of Right to Bear Arms in California…SAF and Calguns Foundation filed a lawsuit seeking to vindicate the right to bear arms against arbitrary state infringement.
· SAF Challenges California Handgun Ban Scheme…SAF and Calguns Foundation filed a lawsuit challenging a regulation that arbitrarily bans handguns based on a roster of “acceptable” handguns approved by the State of California.
· SAF Files Amicus in San Diego Gun Permit Case…SAF filed an amicus brief in a case that challenges the constitutionality of discretionary gun permit rules adopted by officials in San Diego County, California.
· SAF and CalGuns Sue California over “Assault Weapons” Law Arrest…SAF and Calguns Foundation have filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in California, seeking damages for an unlawful arrest and to have the state’s definition of so-called “assault weapons” declared unconstitutionally vague.
· SAF Sues Illinois over Ban on Carrying Guns for Self-Defense…SAF and Illinois Carry have filed suit in federal court in Illinois, challenging the state’s complete prohibition on the carrying of firearms in public for the purpose of self-defense. SAF wins the case at the Federal Appeals Court. The state of Illinois is appealing.
· SAF Challenges Ban on Interstate Handgun Sales…SAF has filed suit in U.S. District Court in Virginia challenging the constitutionality of Virginia statues and provisions of the 1968 G.C.A. barring handgun sales to non-residents. This case is on appeal to the 4th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
· SAF Sues Eric Holder, FBI over Misdemeanor Gun Rights Denial…Acting on behalf of a Georgia resident and honorably discharged Vietnam War veteran, SAF filed a lawsuit against Attorney General Eric Holder and the Federal Bureau of Investigation over enforcement of a federal statute that can deny gun rights to someone with a simple non-domestic violence misdemeanor conviction on his record.
· SAF Files Amicus Brief in Nordyke Case, Argues for Strict Scrutiny…SAF filed an amicus curiae brief in the long-running Nordyke v. King case in California, arguing that Second Amendment issues must be decided on a “strict scrutiny” basis, and that an ordinance in Alameda County banning gun shows at the county fairgrounds is unconstitutional because it would not withstand that standard of review.
· SAF Sues Chicago over Gun Range Prohibition on 1A, 2A Grounds…SAF and ISRA filed a lawsuit in federal court against the City of Chicago’s latest gun ordinance, asserting that “by banning gun ranges open to the public…under color of law,” the city is depriving citizens of their right to keep and bear arms in violation of the First and Second Amendments to the U.S. Constitution. The Appellate Court ordered Chicago to end this ban.
· SAF Sues and Wins in Maryland over Handgun Permit Denial…SAF sued Maryland authorities in federal court because the man’s handgun permit renewal was turned down on the grounds that he could not demonstrate “a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.” The state is appealing.
· SAF Sues in New York to Void Good Cause Carry Permit Requirement…SAF has filed a federal lawsuit against Westchester County, New York and its handgun permit licensing officers, seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of a state law that allows carry licenses to be denied because applicants cannot show “good cause.” This case is currently on appeal to the 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
· SAF Sues and Wins to Overturn North Carolina’s Emergency Powers Gun Bans…SAF and Grassroots North Carolina won a lawsuit seeking a permanent injunction against the governor, local officials and local governments from declaring states of emergency under which private citizens are prohibited from exercising
· SAF Sues over Public Housing Gun Ban in Warren Co., Illinois…SAF wins a federal lawsuit against the Warren County, Illinois Housing Authority, seeking an injunction against the WCHA’s ban on personally-owned firearms by residents of government-subsidized housing.
· SAF Sues Alameda County for Civil Rights Violation in Gun Shop Case…SAF has filed a federal lawsuit against Alameda County, California and the county’s Board of Supervisors for violating the constitutional rights of three businessmen by wrongfully denying them permits to open a gun shop.
· SAF, CalGuns Foundation Sue Oakland, San Francisco Police…SAF has filed a federal lawsuit against the police departments in San Francisco and Oakland, California for refusing to return firearms to people who had been charged with crimes, but subsequently cleared of any wrongdoing.
· SAF Challenges D.C. Handgun Ban Scheme…SAF filed a lawsuit challenging a regulation by District of Columbia city government that arbitrarily bans handguns based on a roster of acceptable handguns approved by the State of California. In order to avoid another loss in court, Washington, D.C. changed the law.
· SAF, CCRKBA and Madison Society, along with a dozen university law professors, filed an amicus brief in the suit to overturn the DC Gun Ban in the U.S. Appellate Court. Additionally, 13 state Attorneys General filed an amicus curiae brief in support of the SAF position to protect the right to Keep and Bear Arms.
· SAF Sues to Overturn San Francisco Gun Ban…The city appealed SAF’s initial victory overturning the San Francisco Gun Ban. The California Appeals Court unanimously ruled to uphold the lower court’s decision, so SAF won again. The city then appealed to the California Supreme Court, which again ruled in SAF’s favor.
· SAF Stops New Orleans Gun Confiscation…SAF negotiated with the City of New Orleans to return the guns they illegally-seized from law-abiding citizens in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
· SAF Sues Eric Holder over Gun Rights of Non-resident American Citizens…SAF filed a lawsuit against Attorney General Eric Holder, seeking an injunction against enforcement of a federal law that makes it impossible for American citizens who reside outside the U.S. to purchase firearms while they are in this country.
· SAF Sues Over Missouri Ban On CCW By Legal Residents…The Second Amendment Foundation has filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a legally documented Canadian immigrant who is a legal resident of Missouri, challenging that state’s statutory prohibition on the carrying of concealed firearms by legal immigrants.
· SAF Sues New Mexico over Law Barring CCW Permits for Legal Residents…SAF has filed a lawsuit in federal district court in New Mexico challenging that state’s prohibition on the issuance of concealed carry permits to documented legal resident immigrants.
· SAF Sues and Wins over Massachusetts Gun Ban for Legal Residents…SAF and Commonwealth2A have won a federal lawsuit challenging a law in Massachusetts that denies legal documented resident immigrants the licenses required to possess a handgun in the home for self-defense, or purchase any kind of firearm or ammunition.
· SAF Sues Washington State for Discriminating against legal residents…SAF, joined by the National Rifle Association, filed a lawsuit in federal court against the State of Washington, seeking to overturn a state law that discriminates against legal documented resident immigrants who own firearms by violating their Second Amendment rights. The State settled and stopped its illegal discrimination. Law changed because of this suit.
This is merely a sampling of how the Second Amendment Foundation is involved in the fight for YOUR rights! Your financial involvement for our pro-gun rights and pro-Second Amendment Constitutional efforts is URGENTLY NEEDED TODAY!
For more information on these cases or donations/memberships please visit http://www.saf.org/
http://www.2ndamendmentcourtcases.com/ is also a partial list of active SAF court cases.